Inspiring Business by Sharing Success

‘EV Revolution’: East Midlands set for EV boom according to new research

‘EV Revolution’: East Midlands set for EV boom according to new research

Midlands Connect is hosting an online EV conference on Tuesday 1st March, sign up here Electric Vehicle Conference Tickets, Tue 1 Mar 2022 at 09:00

East Midlands could have 744,166 electric cars (EVs) on its roads by 2030 – a 2,837% increase on today

3,642 new public charging points will be needed in the region to keep pace with the boom

£131 million ‘Electric vehicle fund' needed to help Midlands councils to install the public charging points needed 

Research released to coincide with Midlands Connect and WSP EV conference held on 1 March 

New research**from Midlands Connect suggests thatthe East Midlands is on the brink of an EV boom and could see over 740,000 electric cars on its streets by the end of the decade. These new projections have been released by Midlands Connect and WSP ahead of its EV conference, taking place on 1st March 2022.  

Figures suggest that the East Midlands will see a 2,837% increase in uptake in Electric Vehicles by the end of 2030. The number of EVs in the area is predicted to rise from 25,337 today to 744,166 by the end of 2030. The Midlands region as a whole could see 1,769,855​ EVs on its roads in this same time frame, meaning nearly a third (28.4%) of all vehicles registered in the Midlands Connect area could be an electric vehicle by the end of 2030.  

WSP forecasts that the East Midlands will need a further 3,642 new public EV charging points by the end of 2030 to support the predicted increase in EV use. The wider Midlands will require 8,909 new public charging points in this period.

While local councils have worked tirelessly to improve the city’s EV infrastructure, analysis by Midlands Connect suggests that a £131 million ‘Electric Vehicle fund’ is needed to support them in delivering the public charging points needed this decade. Research predicts that private businesses will fund just over half of the electric vehicle charging points needed on the network (51%), with local authorities expected to deliver the other half (49%). 

The conference today will bring together academics, politicians and policymakers to tackle the challenges and opportunities facing the Electric Vehicle industry – examining issues including the need for extra capacity on the national grid to power the EV network; how to support EV charging for those with no off-road parking and how to ensure EV charging points are installed in the right locations.

Commenting on the research Midlands Connect’s​ CEO Maria Machancoses said: 

“The East Midlands is on the brink of a boom in Electric Vehicles and could see every third car being an electric one by the end of decade. But more than this, we could also see thousands of new jobs created in the manufacturing, installation and repair of electric vehicles and charging points.

“Local Authorities across the Midlands are doing a great job to roll out charging points, but they cannot do this alone. Government, the automotive industry and private suppliers must all play a part in speeding up the roll out and ensuring councils have the support they need. The Midlands started the industrial revolution and we are trying to make it our mission to make the Midlands the home of the green industrial revolution.” 

Giles Perkins, Head of Profession for Future Mobility at WSP, said:

“We are on the cusp of a monumental change in transport and a decisive pivot away from fossil fuel-based transport modes to the age of the electric vehicle. This brings with it several challenges, not least the requirement for large scale deployment of charging infrastructure, which we must ensure provides convenient, equitable and inclusive solutions for all.

“However, this revolution also presents real opportunities for us through green investment and regeneration, new jobs and skills, as well as the benefits of improved local air quality, reduced carbon emissions and a spur to renewable energy.”


< Back